The Belgian Transplantation Society (BTS) is a not-for-profit, multidisciplinary, professional organization dedicated to improving care of patients suffering terminal organ failure requiring transplantation.
Aims and history
The purposes of the BTS are:
- To bring together all professionals involved in solid organ transplantation in Belgium.
- To promote organ donation in Belgium.
- To provide continue education for professionals working in the field of organ donation, donor management, solid organ transplantation and post-transplant patient care in Belgium.
- To edit ethical guidelines regarding organ donation and transplantation.
- To stimulate basic and clinical research in the field of organ donation and transplantation in Belgium.
- To hold scientific meetings featuring presentations and discussions relevant to organ donation and transplantation.
- To discuss legal and organizational issues with the National Transplant Council and the Ministry of Health.
- To discuss clinical, organizational and scientific issues with Eurotransplant, which is the official organ allocation organisation for Belgium.
The BTS is directed by a Board and has two sections and four advisory committees. The sections are composed by specialized health care professionals: Belgian Transplant Coordinators Section (BTCS) and the Belgian Transplant Nurses Section (BTNS). The committees represent expert knowledge on the respective organs and speciality fields: Belgian Kidney/Pancreas Advisory Committee (Be-KPAC), Belgian Liver/Intestine Advisory Committee (Be-LiAC), Belgian Thoracic Advisory Committee (Be-ThAC) and Belgian Organ Procurement Advisory Committee (Be-OPC).
The BTS cooperates with many other organizations inside and outside Belgium to exchange expertise and knowledge in order to improve quality of care for the transplant patients in Belgium.
The BTS was founded in 1993 by M. Vandeputte, P. Kinnaert, H. Bazin, W. Daenen, M. De Broe, B. de Hemptinne, M. Goldman, N. Lameire, Ph. Mahieu, M. Meurisse, L. Muylle, L. noens, J.B. Otte, D. Pipeleers, Y. Pirson, G. Rorive, J. Sennesael, B. Van Camp, R. Van Hee, Y. Vanrenterghem, P. Vereerstraeten and M. Waer.
Past and current members of the BTS-board :
- October 2014 – September 2019
Detry O. (President), Evrard P., Geerts A., Haentjens I., Jacobs-Tuleneers-Thevissen D., Le Moine A., Lucidi V., Meurisse N. (Treasurer), Montbaliu D., Mourad M., Pirenne J. (President), Roeyen G., Van Caenegem O. (Secretary), Van Cleemput J., Van Deynse D., Van Raemdonck D., Wissing K.M.
- October 2009 – September 2014
Bosmans J.L. (Secretary), De Roover A., Desschans B., Donckier V., Evrard P. (President), Keymeulen B., Kuypers D., Lerut J., Lombaerts R., Peeters P., Pirenne J., Roeyen G., Roggen F., Rondelet B., Smets D., Squifflet J.P., Troisi R., Van Raemdonck D., Van Vlierberghe H.
- October 2004 – September 2009
Antoine M., Bosmans J.L., Colenbie L., De Roover A., de Ville de Goyet J. (J. Lerut), Defraigne J.O., Delbouille M.H., Demanet C., Evrard P., Detry O., Donckier V., Keymeulen B., Latinne D., Maes B., Nevens F. (Michielsen P.), Pirenne J., Troisi R., Sennesael J., Squifflet J., Van Raemdonck D., Van Vlierberghe H., Ysebaert D.
- October 2001 – September 2004
Adler M., Antoine M., Bosmans J.L., Defraigne J.O., Detry O., Gianello P., Kerremans I., Maes B., Malaise J., Pipeleers D., Sennesael J., Vanhaecke J., Vanholder R., Verleden G., Ysebaert D. (President).
- October 1997 – September 2001
Daenen W., De Broe M., Decruyenaere J., Defraigne J.O., de Hemptinne B., Estenne M., Leclerc J.L., Lerut J., Meurisse M., Noens L., Sennesael J., Squifflet J.P., Vanhaecke J. Verbeelen D., Verpooten G.
- September 1993 – September 1997
Daenen W., De Broe M., de Hemptinne B., Lerut J., Meurisse M., Squifflet J.P. (July 1994: D. Verbeelen), Van de Stadt P., Vereerstraeten P.
MembersBelow you will find the names (alphabetically) of all BTS-members. If you would like to contact one of them, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that we will forward to the requested member.
The Board of the BTS is composed of representatives from every Belgian transplant centers and the Presidents of the different Advisory Committees and Sections of the Society. The Board includes a "Bureau" consisting of the President, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the Past-President and the President-elect.
The Board is renewed every five years by appointment of delegates from the transplant centers. The President is elected for a period of 2 1/2 years according a rotation rule among the Belgian transplant centrers.
BTS Advisory Committees and Sections
The BTS has four Advisory Committees and two Sections. They meet four times a year.
The BTS Advisory Committees are composed of medical representatives (one surgical and one non-surgical) from every Belgian transplant center and one representative of the Belgian Transplant Coordinators, grouped around one transplant speciality (thoracic, kidney & pancreas, liver & intestine, organ procurement). Each Advisory Committee has a President, a Secretary and a Representative in the corresponding Eurotransplant Advisory Committee. The BTS Advisory Committees discuss medical aspects of terminal organ failure patients, registration for transplantation and care of transplant recipients in Belgium. They analyze the recommendations of Eurotransplant and FOD/SPF Public Health regarding transplantation, allocation and organ retrieval. They increase inter-center collaboration and initiate multi-center research activities.
The BTS Sections are composed of the transplant coordinators from every transplant center (BTCS) and of nurses specialized in the care of organ donors or transplant recipients (BTNS). The BTCS discuss practical and organizational issues of organ allocation and organ procurement. The BTCS records and communicates yearly activity in organ donation and transplantation in Belgium. The BTCS is very active in promoting organ donation around the country. The BTNS discuss specific items of quality of care, patient education, patient adherence to medication and follow-up... The BTNS provides continue education for nurses in the field of solid organ transplantation. The BTNS advocates for the recognition of the professional title of specialized transplant nurse.
Cooperating saves lives
Eurotransplant is an international foundation located in Leiden, the Nederlands. It is a non-profit organization that facilitates patient-oriented allocation and cross-border exchange of deceased donor organs. Eurotransplan responsible for the allocation of donor organs in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Slovenia. This international collaborative framework includes all transplant hospitals, tissue-typing laboratories and hospitals where organ donations take place.
BTS-representatives in Eurotransplant Advisory Commitees
- Belgian Thoracic Advisory Committee (BeThAC): Yves VAN BELLEGHEM -
- Belgian Kidney & Pancreas Advisory Committee (BeKPAC): Geert ROEYEN -
- Belgian Liver & Intestine Advisory Committee (BeLIAC): Olivier M. DETRY - Transplant surgeon - Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Liège
- Belgian Organ Procurement Advisory Committee (BeOPC): didier ledoux - ICU physician - Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Liège
- BTS Transplant Coordinators Section (BTCS): Patrick Hollants - Transplant recipient coordinator - Universitair Ziekenhuis Antwerpen
- BTS Transplant Nurses Section (BTNS): Carine BREUNIG -
Industry support is very important for BTS and allows for many projects including organizing an Annual Scientific Meeting, awarding patient associations or abstracts, supporting basic and clinical research in transplantation and promoting organ donation in Belgium.
How to become a sponsor
The BTS is a non-profit organization. The BTS thanks the industry for its support, which allows to organize its scientific meetings and to be able to support research in transplantation..
Contact our treasurer
CHU Sart-Tilman B35, Bât. BC+2 Chir. abdominale, endocrinienne et transplantation, 4000 Liège, Belgique